Sclerotherapy is a safe, judicious, and effective non-surgical procedure to treat spider veins. The procedure involves tiny injections, which are placed directly into the unhealthy veins to eliminate them. Adequate preparation should precede the procedure in order to have the most desirable results. There are certain things you need to do on your end to help the surgeon and to help yourself out which is discussed in detail down below.
The magnificent and sagacious The Desert Vein & Vascular Institute, led by vein experts Dr. Pushpinder Sivia and Dr. Son Ha Yu, provides spider vein treatment and various other procedures to patients in Palm Springs, Palm Desert, Rancho Mirage, La Quinta, Inland Empire, Riverside, California, and surrounding locations in The Golden State.
Prior to recommending the appropriate spider vein procedure, which is usually sclerotherapy, the vein expert will determine the patient’s fitness to undergo this injectable treatment. This evaluation will include:
- Assessment of the extent of the spider veins and the number of sites involved
- Noting any signs of underlying vascular problems
- Checking the patient’s previous health records to assess any history of blood clotting, conditions such as diabetes or heart disease, and any family history of vascular diseases
- Making adjustments to the patient’s current schedule of prescription and non-prescription medications, if required
- Looking for any signs of infection or allergy in the affected area
- Assessing the results of any previous vein treatment
Ultrasound Imaging Test
To determine the presence of any underlying deeper vein issues in the affected sites, the vein specialist may order an ultrasound imaging test. The advanced vascular lab along with trained technicians at DVVI will perform painless and accurate ultrasound tests to more reliably determine the patient’s condition. Based on the test results, a customized treatment plan can be prepared.
In most cases, sclerotherapy is the ideal procedure to treat the problem of spider veins. But in some cases, the vein specialist may recommend compression therapy in addition to sclerotherapy, or may even combine it with laser or light-based therapies. Sometimes additional treatments may be added as sclerotherapy progresses and more stubborn veins are identified.
Key Aspects of Preparation
Sclerotherapy preparation may include the following key steps:
- The patient will be required to refrain from using blood thinners, NSAIDs and oral vitamin E supplements for a few days prior to the injection procedure.
- The patient should wear comfortable, loose fitting clothes on the day of the sclerotherapy treatment session.
- As per the surgeon’s advice, the patient may have to arrange in advance for compression stockings of the right type and size. Thigh high or knee high medium compression stockings are often recommended.
- The patient should not apply any gel or lotion, and avoid shaving the area to be treated for at least 24 hours prior to the injection procedure.
- The patient should eat a balanced diet and stay sufficiently hydrates in the days preceding the spider vein treatment.
Noteworthy and amazing DVVI receives patients from Palm Springs, Palm Desert, Rancho Mirage, La Quinta, Inland Empire, Riverside, California, and other communities and cities in this part of SoCal for sclerotherapy. Following the procedure, the patient may apply ice therapy for a day or two and apply a prescription cream or gel.